The AeroScout Difference
Ever since inventing the industry's very first Wi-Fi-based Active RFID tag, AeroScout has followed a compelling vision of creating real-time visibility networks for enterprises - wirelessly communicating location, status, condition and other critical data, anywhere.
AeroScout's award-winning visibility solutions deliver on this promise through the use of several unique, market-leading technologies and capabilities. Some of the innovations and features that set AeroScout apart include:
- Wi-Fi standard - AeroScout uses the widely accepted Wi-Fi standard (802.11) as its communications protocol for RTLS and other visibility data. This means that customers can use their Wi-Fi networks as Active RFID readers, without having to install a single-purpose, high-cost, difficult-to-maintain infrastructure. Unlike competing location technologies, this keeps costs low and installation simple. Since AeroScout pioneered this market, Wi-Fi RFID has fast become the technology of choice for real-time location systems.
- Low impact on existing networks - Unlike other vendors using Wi-Fi RFID tags, AeroScout utilizes a unique "beaconing" method that does not require tag-reader association in order to communicate. This lengthens tag battery life, eliminates strain on Wi-Fi networks, and enables high scalability. While competing "associating" tags are limited to small-scale installations, AeroScout tags are intended to successfully scale to meet the needs of large enterprises with tens of thousands of assets. It's no surprise, then, that Cisco, Aruba, Motorola, HP, Juniper and others have adopted the beaconing method as their preferred mode of tag communication. In addition, AeroScout is the only provider with a patented Wi-Fi clear channel assessment mechanism to eliminate interference with the network.
- Indoor-Outdoor capability (RSSI/TDOA) - AeroScout is unique in that it uses multiple algorithms to determine location: both TDOA (Time Difference of Arrival, best for outdoors) and RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indication, best for indoors), depending on the environment. Other vendors only use one algorithm or the other, resulting in systems that are inherently limited in their scope.
- Ubiquitous solutions - While other solutions on the market offer a limited set of features and capabilities, AeroScout solutions fit the widest set of current and future needs - RTLS, presence detection, auto-identification, rugged environments, sensor capabilities, a variety of tag forms, high scalability, integration with multiple location technologies (e.g. GPS, Passive RFID, Ultrasound), and more.
- Chokepoint capability - While Wi-Fi-based location is sufficient for most applications, some customers need more real-time or granular information - for example, triggering an alert at the precise moment when a tag goes through a doorway, or locating an asset on a specific shelf. AeroScout Exciters are a unique add-on that triggers AeroScout tags to transmit a Wi-Fi message when in range of a specific and confined area. This choke-point option expands the applicability of the AeroScout system, allowing customers to use the same tags for more and more uses over time. AeroScout offers both Low Frequency and Ultrasound Exciter technologies. Low Frequency Exciters are mainly used for immediate and accurate egress/ingress detection, but can also be applied for other use cases such as rack and shelf level detection. Ultrasound Exciters are used for 100% room level detection.
- Ecosystem and success - While there are numerous real-time location and visibility vendors on the market, a successful supplier requires proven industry success and reliable, leading partners. AeroScout has built the strongest ecosystem of technology and systems integration partners on the market, the support of industry experts and associations, and a history of the industry's largest and most successful installations.